Your online guide to disability services
Funding & Disability

Community Residential Support Services - Intellectual Disability

Community Residential Support Services (CRSS) provide 24-hour support to enable an intellectually disabled person to have a safe and satisfying home life. This support is provided in a range of community settings such as small or large sized homes, or groups of small homes or flats.

The support provided by the service also helps a person to carry out everyday activities, including personal care, social and recreational activities. This could include supporting a person to develop the skills for everyday living such as looking after themselves, preparing a meal or doing the housework. A needs assessment determines what support is required to meet a person's needs.

The Ministry of Health provides funding for CRSS.

Click here for the MOH service specification

Provider Directory
View our directory of Community Residential Support Services - Intellectual Disability providers

You can print this page as a Service Information Sheet. Click the print button to open and save a PDF of the information on this page.



What is a Community Residential Support Service?

CRSS supports people in an accessible, safe, homelike environment that allows for privacy and independence. This includes having individual bedrooms and a place for personal belongings. The support is aimed at enhancing personal growth and development, and enabling the person to have control over their life. A home is situated in a community and people are supported to take part in the community.

A person's support needs and how these will be met are described as goals in an Individual Plan (IP). A community residential support service is responsible for ensuring that each person has an IP.

What support is provided?

Within 2 months of a person moving into their new home in a CRSS an IP is developed with the person (and family or support people). The IP is reviewed every 6 months or if a persons needs change significantly. An IP is a written document that identifies a person's support needs and their short and long term goals. The services, activities and timeframes required to help a person to achieve their goals and participate in the community are clearly described.

How to find a Community Residential Support Service.

To find out about CRSS a person can contact a Needs Assessment & Service Coordination (NASC) agency. NASC will determine if a person is eligible for services according to the Ministry of Health definition of disability, and assess if the level of support provided by a CRSS is appropriate for the person.

Who pays for this service?

When a person moves into a CRSS they make a contribution of a set amount from the benefit they receive from Work and Income. The remaining amount is referred to as a Personal Allowance. Work and Income have information about how much contribution a person makes for CRSS and how much is regarded as a personal allowance payment.

Did you know you can create a printable / saveable document out of the data supplied on Support Options?
Click here select providers from this service and create a Provider Information Sheet.


| Back to Top |

Provider Search
Save / Print This Service Information Sheet