Your online guide to disability services
Funding & Disability

Community Residential Support Services - Physical Disability

Community Residential Support Services (CRSS) provide 24-hour support to enable a physically disabled person to have a safe and satisfying home life. This support is provided in a range of community settings such as small or large sized homes, or groups of small homes or flats.

The support provided by the service also assists a person to carry out everyday activities, including personal care, social and recreational activities. This could include supporting a person to develop the skills for everyday living such as looking after themselves, preparing a meal or doing the housework. A needs assessment determines what support is required to meet a person's needs.

The Ministry of Health provides funding for CRSS.

Click here for the MOH service specification

Provider Directory
View our directory of Community Residential Support Services - Physical Disability providers

You can print this page as a Service Information Sheet. Click the print button to open and save a PDF of the information on this page.



What is a Community Residential Support Service?

CRSS support people in an accessible, safe, homelike environment that allows for privacy and independence. This includes having individual bedrooms and a place for personal belongings. The support is aimed at enhancing personal growth and development, and enabling the person to have control over their life. A home is situated in a community and people are supported to take part in the community.

A person's support needs and how these will be met are described as goals in an Individual Plan (IP). A community residential support service is responsible for ensuring that each person has an IP and a Primary Support Worker.

What support is provided?

Within 2 months of a person moving in to their new home in a CRSS an IP is developed with the person (and family or support people). The IP is reviewed every 6 months or if a persons needs change significantly. An IP is a written document that identifies a person's support needs and their short and long term goals. The services, activities and timeframes required to help a person achieve their goals and participate in the community are clearly described.

A Primary Support Worker assists in developing the plan and carrying it out. This includes supporting the person to meet their needs and goals, and liaising with other support workers and services for the person as needed.

How to find a Community Residential Support Service.

To find out about CRSS a person can contact a Needs Assessment & Service Coordination (NASC) agency. NASC will determine if a person is eligible for services according to the Ministry of Health definition of disability, and assess if the level of support provided by a CRSS is appropriate for the person.

Who pays for this service?

When a person moves into CRSS they make a contribution of a set amount from the benefit they receive from Work and Income. The remaining amount is referred to as a Personal Allowance. Work and Income have information about how much contribution a person makes for CRSS and how much is regarded as a personal allowance payment.

Did you know you can create a printable / saveable document out of the data supplied on Support Options?
Click here select providers from this service and create a Provider Information Sheet.


| Back to Top |

Provider Search
Save / Print This Service Information Sheet