Your online guide to disability services
Funding & Disability

Pacific – FAQs


Cultural understanding

1. Is there anyone I can talk to about getting help who understands my culture and respects my need for privacy?

Vaka Tautua plays a key role in promoting the health and well-being of Pacific people experiencing disability and those who are elderly living in New Zealand. This is achieved by providing education and advice about information on health and disability support services. PIASS Trust provides a link between Pacific people and mainstream organisations for information, advice and disability support services.

Help at home

2. I need help to shower, dress and cook, but I am nervous about who will be sent to help me and whether they will prepare meals the way I like it. I am Tongan – will my helper be Tongan?

The Needs Assessment process involves an assessor meeting with you and your family/aiga to find out what your needs are and determine the types of support that will best meet those needs. If you have concerns about who will be your support worker, let your assessor know what your preference is and the Needs Assessment Service Coordination (NASC) agency will endeavour to match your request with an appropriate Service Provider.

Support for living away from home

3. My daughter uses a wheelchair and wants to move away from home to live with other girls her age. I don’t know who to talk to about this, and she’ll need lots of help.

Your daughter’s Needs Assessment Service Coordination (NASC) agency will be able to provide you with information and advice about Supported Independent Living (SIL) services. SIL services gives a person choice about where and how they live. The person may be referred by the NASC agency to an organisation that provides Supported Independent Living services that are appropriate for them. The Needs Assessment referral outlines ways that the person can be supported i.e. assisting a person to find an appropriate living arrangement; assisting a person to develop skills so they can cope with day-to-day situations at home and in the community; and providing contact with the person to help them maintain independence and a life-style of their choice.

Select another FAQ:

Click here for a glossary of all the terms and abbreviations used throughout this site


| Back to Top |

Provider Search