Your online guide to disability services
Funding & Disability

Maori – FAQs


Support for challenging behaviours

1. My 32 year old brother lives with us at home – he has an intellectual disability and as he gets older it is getting harder for my mother to manage him. He can be quite difficult and destructive. Mum wants him to stay at home where he is supported by whanau and is surrounded by things that are important to him, but we need to start thinking about other options.

Your brother can be assessed by the Needs Assessment and Service Coordination (NASC) agency or Regional Intellectual Disability Care Agency (RIDCA) who will make a referral to Behaviour Support Services (BSS). Alternatively you may contact a BSS directly and in this instance they will inform NASC or RIDCA. BSS will work with your brother, whanau, friends and support networks to develop a plan to lessen challenging behaviours or situations that trigger the behaviour.

Assessment by a Te Reo speaker

2. I want to be assessed by someone who speaks Te Reo.

When speaking with your Needs Assessment and Service Coordination agency (NASC) let them know you would like to meet with an Assessor who speaks Te Reo. Your NASC agency will endeavour to meet your request.

Help at home

3. My husband and I are both disabled and now that our children have moved away from home we are finding it hard to look after ourselves, cook and clean. Can we get help? Will we have to pay for help? Will the person who comes to our house respect our ways of doing things?

Home based support services provide support for you to maintain your independence at home. To receive HBSS you require a Needs Assessment to determine your eligibility to receive services. A Needs Assessor will meet with you and your husband to identify what your needs are and the type of support, either Personal or Household Management that is needed in your home. These services are funded by the government and are therefore free.

As it’s important to you that would-be support workers respect your ways of doing things, let your assessor know this information during the assessment, so that Service Coordinators can select an appropriate Service Provider.

Ministry of Health Service Specification information:

In answer to your question about whether the person who comes into your house will respect your ways of doing things the Ministry of Health Service Specification information outlines the following:

Following a needs assessment, a support plan is agreed upon between the NASC and [yourself] that specifies the goals and type or amount of services [you] will receive. An Individual Service Plan is agreed between the Service Provider and [yourself] that specifies how the goals identified in the support plan will be met. The Individual Service Plan will guide the support workers and other staff members who go into [your] home.

Select another FAQ:

Click here for a glossary of all the terms and abbreviations used throughout this site


| Back to Top |

Provider Search